Azkuna Zentroa has presented the prizes for the AzPlay International Festival of Independent Games Competition. The winners of this 8th edition are:
– Best original idea award: ‘Distorsions’, by Among Giants (Brazil)
– Best visual art award: ‘Old Man´s Journey’, by Broken Rules (Austria)
– Best sound-music award: ‘Figment’, by Bedtime Digital Games (Denmark)
– Best playability award: ‘Rock of Ages 2’, by ACE Team Software (Chile)
– Best Basque video game award: ‘Unforgiven VR’, by Delirium Studios
The aim of the AzPlay International Festival of Independent Games Competition prizes is to acknowledge and reward the most original, creative, innovative videogame productions showing an educational yet entertaining character. Each prize is 5,000 euros.
432 games from 63 countries have competed in this year’s Competition.
This year’s jury is formed by Miguel Alva, an expert in video games stored on cassettes; Juan Manuel Moreno Reyes, co-founder of Nivel Oculto; Teddy Florea, a natural connector helping gaming developers and publishers reach out to any service needed in the industry; and José María Martínez Burgos, ‘Hafo’, co-founder of mobile phone games companies and startups of apps for children.
During the Gala, awards have also been presented to the students of the ‘Designing the videogame of the future’ workshops held at Mediateka BBK in the days prior to the Festival.
In addition, the name of the Nordic Game Discovery Contest Qualifying Round finalist has been revealed, namely “A Place for the unwilling” by Alpixel Games, who will be taking part in the Nordic Game Conference in Mälmo in 2018.